14 dic 2008

Scripture is not a matter of personal interpretation

When I was in seminary, our homiletics faculty stressed that proper preparation must take place and not shoot from the hip. 

As St. Peter said in his second letter, "no prophecy of Scripture is a matter of personal interpretation, for no prophecy ever came through human will; but rather human beings moved by the Holy Spirit spoke under the influence of God."

When I prepare for my weekend homilies especially, I pray that the Lord remove any of my own biases, that only what He wants me to preach comes forth. 

Preaching is a double-edged sword; we need to be careful to preach the good news -- all of it, not only what it says to me but what it is the interpretation of the Scriptural passage.

(to read more you can click on the above title)

No hay comentarios: