15 ene 2011

REFLECTION Sunday´s Gospel


2nd Sunday of Ordinary time
(16 Jan 2011)

Fr James McTavish, FMVD

Whoever has the Son has everything

There is a song called “Next in line” with one line that goes “What has life to offer me when I grow old?” Many times we reflect on where we are going and what life holds in store for us. What is so helpful is to have direction. It reminds me of a compass – it always points north no matter which way it is held. The direction is not dependant on which way the compass is facing, it does not change, it is constant. One reality in each one of us is that we are made in the image and likeness of God. This image will never change and is forever constant. This can give stability in changing world.

One day this week I had mild food poisoning which made me visit the bathroom every hour (I had AIR RAID spelt backwards to put it in a polite way!) Feeling a bit drained I had to rest and lying there it came to me that whether I am active or not, the goal of our lives is always the same – TO BE LIKE CHRIST! So that thought gave me peace as I can still be like Christ whether I am sick or healthy so I just prayed for the prayer meeting I would have later that night. In one moment I started to feel a bit sorry for myself. As a doctor normally I am the one being compassionate to the other missionaries if they are sick, but now I was sick who would take care of me? I remembered Jesus carrying his cross. For sure his theme tune would have been “Don’t cry for me Argentina” (Luke 23, 28 – “Do not weep for me”) and it drove away the temptation of self-pity.

The goal of our life to be like Christ is like a steady compass that gives direction and constancy even when the situations change. John the Baptist in the gospel of today was so clear that Jesus is the fulfillment and realization and his life points clearly towards him. John testified to Jesus saying “Behold, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world. He is the one of whom I said, ‘A man is coming after me who ranks ahead of me because he existed before me.’ I did not know him, but the reason why I came baptizing with water was that he might be made known to Israel” (see John 1, 29-34) How great when a life points like a compass to Christ and leads others too him.

One question that we must ask is why if Jesus is the fulfillment why do many remain discontent with their experience of faith or of the Church? Could it be that following Christ does not truly fulfill? Recently we were invited to a reflection evening on the Word of God and afterwards were brought to Starbucks for a coffee. In many of these coffee shops the choice or array on offer is bewildering. Choices need to be made. What makes the experience memorable is the personal touch – often you are asked “What is your name?” – so they can write your name on the coffee cup. The experience becomes more personal. What does our faith need often, what is needed in our following of Christ? Choices that lead to personalization. Put your name on your following of Christ, don’t be afraid to personalize it!

One thing is for sure – when you opt to try to live like Christ, trying to love like him and be his presence, God’s grace will not lack. If we are trying to be like Christ in the world of today (and if we are called ‘Christians’ it is for this – to be his presence in the world) then God the Father will help us and the Holy Spirit will be huffing and puffing, working hard and blowing his powerful breath on us to strengthen us and assist us!

Of course if we do not sincerely try to follow the WAY it is very easy to get lost. Last year I met a family that is practically involved in world war 3. There were asking for the help of my community but the situation sounded so difficult that it seemed they needed more a referee than a priest – intrigue, revenge, adultery, hatred and all manner of evils. In the early Church in a document called the “Didache” there were clearly described the two ways, one leading to life and the other to perdition. This is why Jesus tells us “I am the Way” (John 14,6).

Let us ask for the grace to understand more deeply that to be like Christ is the goal of our existence. It is not an external likeness, wearing a white robe, growing a beard and sandals but more of an internal transformation in love. To be like the Son, to have him in our lives is our fulfillment. I close with the example of the art sale. A famous art dealer died and left his house and estate along with many masterpieces including Picasso, Degas, Monet and Rembrandt. There was an auction and the first lot was a simple portrait of the art dealer’s son. The auctioneer had trouble because no one wanted to buy it. They had come for the more valuable works. One person said “Come on. Get on with the real auction. I did not come for a picture of the son but for a real masterpiece like a Degas or Rembrandt.” The family gardener, a poor man who only had $10 was delighted to buy the portrait. The auctioneer made the announcement “Ok, the auction is now over. There was a clause in the will. Whoever buys the portrait of the son gets the whole estate and all the masterpieces.” This holds for us too today – whoever has the Son has everything. Amen.

No hay comentarios: